Latest in Additive Manufacturing
Additive Manufacturing Resources
November 23, 2021
3D printing firm Carbon has launched the next generation of its Carbon Design Engine software and plans to make the software licenses available to design teams for purchase in early 2022, including teams that are not Carbon platform users.
According to the company, Carbon Design Engine allows product designers to generate advanced latticed parts quickly and easily from a solid part STL file and output STL files for printing on most common 3D printers. Previously, this software was available only to Carbon platform customers, but beginning in early 2022 software licenses will be available for individuals and teams to design, develop, and print advanced lattices on most common 3D printers.
Within Carbon's software suite, Design Engine automates complex product design and development from prototyping to production.
“Creators are challenged with fragmented solutions and organizational silos that have caused friction, limitations on innovation, and delayed time to market. To successfully bring better products to market in less time, organizations need a platform that unifies product design, development, and manufacturing,” said Phil DeSimone, Chief Product and Business Development Officer at Carbon. “Carbon's software suite, starting with Design Engine, aims to cover every step needed for companies to create products with superior performance while accelerating the time to market.”
Key features of Design Engine include:
- Multi-zone: The Pro tier of Design Engine introduces the ability to tune multiple zones at once, integrating different lattice types, cell sizes, or strut diameters to create different zones of performance within a single part, using the same material.
- Powerful zone transitions: The Pro tier of Design Engine uses patent-pending technology to seamlessly blend zones, producing attractive, functional lattices ready to use in real-world applications.
- No tedious tuning: Designing even simple lattices often requires tedious, manual work that is prone to errors that can significantly impact part performance. Design Engine resolves lattice features, both large and small, while robustly transitioning seamlessly between different zones inside the same part for tunable performance.
- Precise control: Lattices generated in Design Engine can be optimized for a wide array of performance characteristics, including part volume and tunable mechanical response.
- Compatibility: Design Engine offers compatibility with most common additive manufacturing techniques by outputting generated lattices as STLs.
Design Engine will be available in three tiers — Standard, Pro, and Enterprise — enabling engineers to choose individual or team-based licenses to fit their specific needs. For more information about pricing and availability, and to join the waitlist, go to carbon3d.com/design-engine.